Education Research Notes
Photograph of Gilmer High School.
Rosenwald Schools in Upshur County
Teachers' Certificates Granted by the Summer Normal Institutes (Afro-American)
Teachers Certificates And The Law
Superintendents of Schools
Report of the Department of Education 1882 - 1883 and 1883 - 1884
Report of Superintendent of Public Instruction 1884 - 1885
Report of Superintendent of Public Instruction 1885 - 1886
Education Census 1850-1920
Gilmer Male Academy-1854.
Gilmer Female College-1856.
Upshur Masonic College-1860.
Odd Fellows' Male and Female College
Morgan H. Looney School
Education Research Notes extracted from the Handbook of Texas Online
Elam Springs (Elam Spring) was settled before 1900. By that year it had a school, which in 1906 had an enrollment of forty-nine black students.
Pleasant Grove, also known as Nubbin Ridge was first settled before the turn of the century. A school was in operation by 1906, when it had an enrollment of fifty-one black students. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, and a number of houses; the school was famous in the area for its baseball teams. After World War II the school was consolidated with Big Sandy district
Snow Hill was settled sometime before 1900, when a school was in operation there. By 1906 the school had an enrollment of sixty-eight black students. In the mid-1930s Snow Hill consisted of the school, a church, and a number of houses. The school was closed after World War II
Stracener was settled sometime before 1900, when a school was in operation there. By 1906 the school had an enrollment of fifty-five black students. In the mid-1930s the community comprised the school, a store, and number of houses. After World War II the school and the store closed
Summerfield was established toward the end of the nineteenth century. A school was in operation there by the mid-1890s, and in 1896 it had an enrollment of forty-three black students. In the mid-1930s the predominantly black community consisted of a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, and the school was consolidated with the Gilmer school district.
Union Grove was first settled before 1900. Around that time a school opened there, and in 1907 it had twenty-six black students. During the mid-1930s the community included a school, a church, a cemetery, and a few houses. After World War II its school was consolidated with that of Big Sandy
Valley View was first settled about 1880. A local school opened before 1895, and in 1897 it had an enrollment of twenty-eight black students. In the mid-1930s the community consisted of a school, a church, a factory, and a number of houses. In the mid-1960s Valley View had a large black high school and several businesses and residences.