Woods House, 502 E. Walker St., Jefferson

Home

.  
 .  

Date of erection: during the civil war

NORTH (FRONT)  FROM NORTHWEST.

   

DETAIL, EAST END OF NORTH FACADE.

   

EAST SIDE FROM SOUTHEAST.

   
   
   

 Historical Marker Text: A very fine small frame residence with a central hall and four rooms. The structure is rectangular in plan; however, the roof is framed as though the residence consisted of a central block with two end pavilions. The gabled ends of the pavilions have a steep pitch, festooned bargeboards, and a rounder window with an elaborate decorative molding. Hearsay evidence indicated that the house once had cast-iron grille cork on the peaks of the roof and possibly on the entrance portico.

The main entrance has a pair of very finely carved Second Empire doors, a transom over the doors and sidelights that extend to the height of the doors and the transom. The windows throughout the structure are tall and narrow, extending from floor to ceiling, and contain four-over-four lights. A flat roofed portico the width of the central block covers the entrance the portico is supported by two pairs of square wooden columns n bases. With the exception of the removed grille work and chimneys the appearance of the residence ifs unaltered.

STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE

The Perry M. Woods House in Jefferson, Texas, is particularly outstanding ;for its fine detailing. The date of the house is not known. Original owners of the property, however, were the Alleys, who owned about half the land in Jefferson. The Alleys deeded the property to their daughter, Victoria, who married M. L. Crawford, a District Judge, prominent lawyer, and veteran of the Civil War.
On December 30, 1870, the Crawfords sold the property to a Samson Eagon for $1,000. The sum indicates that there was some kind of house on the lot, since lots did not sell for any more than $200.00 when vacant. Eagon was a Jefferson doctor and probably made additions to the house.

Eagon sold his property to W. R. Smith, June 6, 1874, and, the estate changed hands numerous times until August 10, 1932, when Perry M. Woods bought it. The home has remained in his possession.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965.