Jefferson Playhouse (St. Mary's Catholic School-Sinai Hebrew Synagogue, 209 N. Henderson St)

 Home

.  
 .  

Date of erection: school 1869 and synagogue 1876

 NORTHWEST (FRONT) FACADE OF SYNAGOGUE.

   

 VIEW OF SYNAGOGUE FROM SOUTH

   
   

 Historical Marker Text: Built about 1860 by Robert W. Nesmith, a contractor of stage lines. After several changes in ownership, house was purchased 1869 for Sisters of Charity and used as their convent, hospital and school (called St. Mary's). In 1875, property was bought by Sinai Hebrew Congregation of Jefferson. An auditorium was added, and served as the local synagogue until about 1900. Owned and restored by the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965