Bishop College
Historically Black College

 

 

 

Bishop College Notes  1893 - 1894, The Baptist home mission monthly, Volumes 15-16

 


51

Bishop College,

Bishop College, at Marshall, Texas, to all appearances, has a bright future before it. Nearly ten acres of land, with dwellings thereon, adjacent to the present campus, have been purchased by the generosity of a gentleman who does not wish his name published, at a cost of about $5,000. By this purchase the somewhat perplexing question of the location of the new building for normal school purposes is happily solved. This building, on which work has begun, will occupy a most desirable and commanding position, almost in the centre of the campus. Part of the new purchase will be devoted to arrangements for industrial education, for which a good beginning has already been made by Prof. Wolverton, who, among other qualifications for his position as President, has had large experience in these matters.

Another cheering thing is the fact that the leading colored Baptists of the State are making a grand rally to raise $6,000, of which sum, one-third is to go to Bishop College, one-third to Hearne Academy (affiliated with the college), and one-third to mission work in the State. There is much enthusiasm in the undertaking, and we have no doubt but that under the guidance of strong and experienced men it will prove successful.

 


186

William A. Cauldwell, Esq., of New York City, passed away, after an illness of several months, March 13, 1893, in the sixty-sixth year of his age. He had been a member of the Executive Board of the Society since 1875, and one of the Auditors of the Society for four years, from 1887. As a mem

ber of the Finance Committee, and of the Church Edifice Committee, he was most painstaking, and his quick business insight, his good judgment, as well as his deep interest in all the Society's affairs, made him one of the most valuable members of the Board. Moreover, his Christian integrity, generosity and his remarkably cheerful spirit, even while contending against physical weakness, greatly endeared him to all his associates. It is no ordinary loss that the Society has experienced in the death of Mr. Cauldwell. The name is now, more than ever, an honored one in the Society; his father, Ebenezer Cauldwell, having been Treasurer of the Society from 1858 to 1871. Mr. Cauldwell's gifts were on a liberal scale, chiefly for the Church Edifice and Educational work of the Society, his last pledge, shortly before his death, being $5,000 for the purchase of additional grounds for Bishop College, Texas. He was a member of several Boards of Trustees of Institutions for the colored people. In city missions in New York, as well as in other religious and philanthropic work, he had a deep interest. He was one of the pillars of the Calvary Baptist Church. His death, therefore, leaves a great void in many circles as well as that of the Society.

 


232-234

NEW BUILDINGS, ETC.

The year has been marked by considerable activity in the erection of new buildings and the acquisition of additional property. At Bishop College, Marshall, Texas, the central portion of a similar building, for normal school purposes, to cost about $25,000, is in process of erection. About nine acres of land, with several buildings, adjacent to the campus, have been purchased at a cost of $5,325, chiefly through the munificence of the late Wm. A. Cauldwell, Esq., of New York. This gives needed scope for the contemplated development of the Institution.

INDUSTRIAL EDUCATION.

Valuable additions have been made to the industrial equipment of Shaw University and of Bishop College through the gifts of individuals. In several other institutions very creditable work in this line is also done.

 


262

Bishop College, Marshall, Texas.

REV. N. WOLVERTON, B.A., PRESIDENT.

The work has gone on quietly during the past year with satisfactory results. Through the liberality of the late Wm. A. Cauldwell, of New York, we have added eleven acres of much-needed land to our campus. We now have twenty-two acres, covered by grand old forest trees and beautifully situated, ample for all college purposes and forming one of the finest college grounds in Texas.

Our new building, 49x96, three stories above a high and light basement, of red brick with cut stone facings, is nearly ready for the roof. It will furnish long-needed accommodation.

The sentiment of the white people in reference to the work of educating negroes is undergoing a marked change. During the past winter the writer made a hurried canvass of the leading white people of the city, and received from them over $1,100 in cash to assist in the more thorough equipment of the college. Taking into consideration all the past this frank and generous action means very much.

The negroes, too, are giving of their limited means to support the educational work. At a " rally " held at the laying of the cornerstone of the new building, they contributed in cash $530.00. The students had previously collected and brought in over $200.00. A canvass is now being conducted which, we believe, will result in securing $6,000, which will be divided equally between missions, Bishop College and Hearne Academy. To the extent of their ability they are giving, yet from their poverty they can do but little more than support their pastors.

The influence of the Home Mission Society's work is showing more and more every day. Probably 400 old students of Bishop College are now teaching in the public

schools, and under their hands these schools are rapidly coming up towards respectability and the training given in the college is being transmitted to tens of thousands in every part of the State.

The old students of the Home Mission schools are now occupying most of the leading positions of influence and power. They edit the Baptist papers, fill the leading pulpits, are principals of the academies and colleges, largely officer and manage the State Convention and the General Foreign Mission. Convention.

Of the future of the races in the South no man can prophesy ; we must look to God for a solution of the great problem ; yet upon this one thing there is perfect unanimity of opinion; viz., the present imperative duty of giving a Christian education to the Negroes.

 


285

The following teachers were appointed at the meeting of the Home Mission Board, July to, for the school year 1893-94.

Bishop College, Marshall, Tex—Rev. N. Wolverton, Pres Rev. D. Reddick, J. R. E. Lee, T. C. Bledsoe, F. N. Goble,' Miss C. Denslow, Miss J. Davidson, Miss B. O. Sanders.

 

 


 

377 

IN OCTOBER.
The following appointments were made:

Bishop College, Marshall, Tex.—Mrs. Louisa M. Jocelyn.

 

 


 

 

419
The following teachers were appointed :

Bishop College, Marshall, Tex..—Miss Mamie Jones, W. R. Taylor.

 

 


 

184

A DISGRACEFUL OUTCOME. On November 26, 1893, Prof. David Reddick (white), teacher of Theology in Bishop College, Marshall, Tex., accompanied by Mr. W. L. Dixon, a colored student, were returning to Marshall from a missionary tour, and, while waiting for a train at Waskom Station, were assaulted by a band of white ruffians and cruelly beaten. They gave as their reason for this dastardly attack the fact that Prof. Reddick was a teacher in a negro school, and had been preaching to negroes.

By direction of the Executive Board, the Corresponding Secretary laid the case in detail before the authorities in Marshall, Tex., and before the Governor of the State, and was assured by them that every effort would bs made to bring the guilty parties to punishment.

Two of the parties concerned in the affair, indicted by the grand jury, were brought to trial in May, and, although unmistakably identified by both Prof. Reddick and Mr. Dixon, were acquitted by the jury on the sworn testimony of men who declared that they were with the parties on that date, and that they were in another part of the country. Those best informed do not hesitate to declare this " alibi " fraudulent. We are informed that it was apparent at the trial that the judge, the jury, the spectators and others clearly sympathized with the defense. These facts speak for themselves, and need no further comment.

 

 


 

 

311
The following teachers were appointed :

Bishop College, Marshall, Texas.—Rev. N. Wolverton, President; Rev. D. Reddick, J. R. E. Lee, Miss J. Davidson, Belva Dix, B. O. Sanders, F. N. Goble, T. C. Bledsoe, W. R. Taylor, Miss M. Jones, J. C. Boisseau, S. T. Williamson, E. D. Pierson, Mrs. L. M. Jocelyn, Miss T. A. Russell.

 

 


 

319
The new buildings commenced last year at Spelman Seminary and at Bishop College, have been completed and are now occupied. The building at Spelman was ready for use at the beginning of the school year, and the one at Bishop shortly after the New Year. Both buildings are admirably adapted to the work for which they have been erected.

 

 


 

460

The following teachers were appointed 

At Bishop College Miss Minnie B Ellis 

 

 



 

 

The Baptist home mission monthly

edited by Henry Lyman Morehouse, William W. Bliss, Thomas Jefferson Morgan - 1893


Home