Waters Bluff  Bridge

 

 

Waters Bluff Bridge, Spanning Sabine River

 

 

 

 

Historic American Engineering Record

Google Maps  Waters Bluff Texas

 


 

Historical Marker Text:

Walters' Bluff Ferry

Located at a noted early-day crossing on Sabine River, this pioneer ferry carried settlers traveling north or south into Upshur or Smith counties. It was begun before 1849 by Robt. Walters, a Texas revolutionary veteran, and used until a bridge was built, 1903. Town of Florence was once situated near ferry on south bank of the Sabine. Ferriage rates in 1860 were 50 cents for a wagon drawn by two horses or oxen; 75 cents for a wagon and more than two animals. A pleasure carriage was charged 40 cents; a man and horse, 10 cents; loose livestock, 5 cents per head.

 

 

Home