Upshur County Railways

 


All of  the railroads that transverse Upshur county are represented in this 1914 map in one form or another.

 

 

Marshall and East Texas Railway 

St. Louis Southwestern Railway

Texas and Pacific Railway

Historical Marker: Two Early Railroads

Handbook of Texas Online - PORT BOLIVAR IRON ORE RAILROAD

 

The first railroad in Upshur County was the main line of the Texas & Pacific, which was extended west from Longview beginning about 1871, and passes through the southwestern portion of the county, its first station being Big Sandy. About the same time the old Tyler Tap Railway, a narrow gauge line, was built north from Tyler across the Sabine River into Upshur County to a connection with the Texas & Pacific, and a few years later was extended north to Mount Pleasant, reaching the latter place in 1878. This is now a part of- the St. Louis Southwestern System. During the decade of the '90s the old Texas Southern, now the Marshall & East Texas, a portion of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas System, was constructed centrally through the county, giving Gilmer a station at the junction of two roads. The original railways did much to stimulate the lumber industry in the county, and later have promoted development along other lines. 

 

 

Home