Early Marion Newspapers
Marion County—The first paper was The Herald, established by Frank Clark in 1854. He was an impetuous, impulsive writer and conducted the paper with much ability. He died in 1856. The Herald was continued by H. L. Grinstead in 1857; and in 1858 by R. H. Ward, Jr.; in 1860, H. F. O'Neal published it as The Herald and Reporter. The Jefferson Gazette was published by J. W. Nimmo in 1857, and with him was associated Mike Farley in 1858. In 1860 The Herald and Gazette was published by Shad E. Eggers. The Star-State Jeffersonian was published by James A. Warner and Tom P. Ochiltree and was violent and denunciatory in the winter of 1860-61. The Jimplecute was established in 1865, published as a semi-weekly in 1867, by Taylor and Morgan; 1869 by Taylor and Campbell, afterwards by Ward Taylor, and Taylor, McCutchen & Co. It suspended in 1872, was revived in 1874 by Taylor, Morgan & Co. Trans-Mississippi Bulletin, Vol. 1, No. 1, July 8, 1864; subscription price $25 per year; $15 for six months; Allen Kirbie editor. The Commercial Bulletin, 1866-7, by Walker and Kirbie. Norton's Union Intelligencer, 1867-8, by A. B. Norton. and forced by mob violence to suspend in the days of blood and crime. The Weekly Clarion started about July 1st, 1867, by E. E. Collins and A. A. Spence publishers, Charles Lewis editor, 24x36, $3 per annum, published about six months. Motto: "Extremely right, or extremely wrong—no middle ground for truth." The Jefferson Times, May, 1867-8, R. W. Loughery and A. D. McCutchen; weekly and daily, October, 1867; in 1868, consolidated with The Marshall Republican, and continued as The Times and Republican by R. H. Loughery until in 1872, when the office was destroyed by fire. The Evening Reflector, a weekly school and literary journal, 1868, F. J. Patillo editor and proprietor. The Ultra Ku-Klux, a 24x36 paper was started about the 14th of April by R. R. Haynes & Co., editors and proprietors; issued every Thursday at $3 per year; "Devoted to a white man's government, will abuse the carpetbaggers and scalawags up to the hub for the money." "This paper will advocate the Democratic theory of our government and will heartily co-operate with white men and Democrats throughout the length and breadth of the land." It "Co-operated" for one year. The Jefferson Democrat, established in 1870 and published by James & Houston, by Million Park, J. H. McEachern and by F. P. Alexander, daily and weekly. The Home Advocate, established in 1869 by G. A. Kelley and continued by F. J. Patillo; Rev. S. J. Tawkins was for a time its editor. Christian Companion (Baptist), J. R. Clark, 1867. Evangelist Register, Carpenter and S. Chadwick (Cumberland Presbyterian\ established in December, 1865. Jefferson Radical, C. T. and C. W. Garland, 1869, and continued in 1870-1-2. Tribune, by Dillard; burned up January, 1874. Mail, daily and weekly, 1873, by a company of co-operative printers, editors and publishers, C. T. Thomas business manager. The Magnet, tri-weekly, established in 1873, G. W. Wooten editor, F. G. and J. H. Wooten publishers. Jefferson New Epoch, established as a Democratic daily in 1873, J. C. Rodgers & Co., editors and publishers. The Weekly Jeffersonian, 1871, called Radical for short, by Roberts & Co. Leader, daily, 1874, W. Y. Leader editor and publisher.
History of the Texas Press Association:
by Ferdinand B. Baillio, Anthony Banning Norton - 1916