St Mary's Catholic School-Sinai Hebrew Synagogue, 209 North Henderson Street
DETAIL OF PORTICO ON SCHOOL BUILDING
VIEW OF SYNAGOGUE FROM SOUTH.
Historical Marker Text: Built about 1860 by Robert W. Nesmith, a contractor of stage lines. After several changes in ownership, house was purchased 1869 for Sisters of Charity and used as their convent, hospital and school (called St. Mary's). In 1875, property was bought by Sinai Hebrew Congregation of Jefferson. An auditorium was added, and served as the local synagogue until about 1900. Owned and restored by the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965
images from Built
in America: Historic American Buildings Survey