Education Research Notes

 

Erected in 1870 as a courthouse but used as a school for Negroes at the time of this picture(1936). Scene of the famous  trial of Abe Rothchild accused of murdering his  wife, Diamond Bessie.
Old Jefferson Courthouse, 304 W. Broadway, Jefferson, 

 

 

Education Research Notes 2

 

Sources: This information  was extracted from the Handbook of Texas Online website.

Northeastern Marion County 
BELVIEW, TEXAS. The Belview school had seventy-two black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse with twenty-nine elementary students. By 1955 the school had consolidated with the Jefferson schools,
CORINTH, . The Corinth school in 1938 was a one-room schoolhouse which accommodated forty black elementary school students and one teacher. The local school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955
MOUNT CARMELThe Mount Carmel school had forty-five black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse, which accommodated thirty-five black elementary students. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955, 
FRAZIER, TEXAS. (Marion County) Frazier was just north of State Highway 49 and fifteen miles northeast of Jefferson in eastern Marion County. The Frazier school had thirty-nine black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated forty-five black elementary school students and one teacher. The Frazier school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955, and in 1967 all that remained of Frazier was two cemeteries named for the Coore family, who owned the original land grants at the site.
FRIENDSHIP,  The Friendship school had fifty-six white pupils and one teacher in 1899. In the 1930s the community had a school, several scattered dwellings, and a church, a half mile west of the crossroads. In 1938 the community's three-room schoolhouse accommodated thirty-eight black elementary school students and one teacher. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955, 
GETHSEMANE COMMUNITY, TEXAS. (Marion County) Gethsemane Community is on State Highway 49 fifteen miles northeast of Jefferson in northeastern Marion County. The Gethsemane school had fifty-three pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 183 elementary students, twenty-seven high school students, and five teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. In 1962 Gethsemane Community had a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In the 1980s there were four business establishments, a recreational facility, and two churches in the predominantly black community. 
JUDEA CHURCH, The Judea school had eighty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse, which accommodated sixty-seven black elementary students and two teachers. In the 1940s Judea had three businesses, the school, and a church. The school was consolidated with that of Jefferson by 1955
LEWIS CHAPEL In 1938 the community had a three-room schoolhouse that accommodated 106 black elementary students and three teachers. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955
LOGAN. In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse that accommodated fifty-eight black elementary students and two teachers. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955. 
UNION In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated one teacher and forty-six black elementary-school students. The school was consolidated with those of Jefferson by 1955,
Northwest  Marion County
BETHLEHEM, The Bethlehem school had eighty-nine black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated thirty-five elementary students. The school was consolidated with the Lassater schools
Eastern Marion County
DOUGLAS CHAPEL. The Douglas Chapel school had twenty-six black pupils and one teacher in 1899. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated twenty-seven black elementary students. The school was consolidated with the Jefferson schools by 1955, 
Southwestern Marion County
MACEDONIA. In 1938 the community had a four-room schoolhouse that accommodated 221 black elementary and high school students and seven teachers. 
NEW ZION, TEXAS. In 1938 the community had a four-room schoolhouse, which accommodated 106 black elementary students, seven black high school students, and four teachers. The school was consolidated with those of Jackson by 1955, 
SUNVIEW The community school, Murrey League, was probably named for William Murray (or Murrey), who was granted the original land patent for the community site. The Murrey League school had forty-eight black pupils and one teacher in 1899.. In the 1930s the Murrey League school accommodated thirty-three black pupils and one teacher, the Sunview church was located a short distance away, and several scattered dwellings existed at the townsite. The school was consolidated with the Jackson schools by 1955.
Western Marion County 
ROCK SPRINGS. In 1938 the community had a one-room schoolhouse that accommodated twenty-nine black elementary students and one teacher. 
Northwestern Marion County 
SHADY GROVE CHURCH In 1938 the community had a two-room schoolhouse, which accommodated seventy-two black elementary students and two teachers. The school was consolidated with the Lassater school by 1955. 
WARLOCK. In the 1930s Ero had two businesses, two churches, and two school buildings with a total of six classrooms known collectively as Warlock School. In 1937 the Warlock schools were attended by a daily average of fifty-two black elementary students taught by two teachers and fifty-six black high school students taught by one teacher. The schools were consolidated with Lassater schools by 1952.

Sources: This information  was extracted from the Handbook of Texas Online website.

 


 

 

 

Home