Bethesda Baptist Church

 

 

Bethesda Baptist Church - Marshall In 1867 the Rev. William Massey organized the "Colored Baptist Church" in his home. Soon the name "Bethesda" was chosen for the biblical pool where the sick and troubled went for healing. Members of this congregation included prominent business, educational, and political leaders. They helped organize Bishop College in 1881. The first frame church house was razed in 1932 and a brick building was erected under the Rev. W. H. Dudley. After a fire destroyed the structure in 1953, this building was constructed during the pastorate of the Rev. James R. C. Pinn.

Pastors    
Rev. William Massey    
Rev. Lucian M Luke    
Rev. W. H. Dudley    
Rev. James R. C. Pinn    

 

 

Image: The Portal to Texas History  ( Terms of Use )

Home

setstats