Historically Black College
Sketch from History of Education in Texas
WILEY UNIVERSITY. This institution was founded by the Freedmen's Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1873 and for ten or twelve years was the only negro school of any importance in Texas. It was named in honor of Bishop Isaac W. Wiley, and is the outgrowth of patient self- sacrificing labor on the part of ministers and missionaries of the church. Closely allied with its early growth and development were Revs. C. F. Moore, W. L. Malloy, W. H. Davis (the first president of the school), Prof. Breece Jackson, Miss Perkins, Hon. Edmund Brown, N. D. Clifford (third president), Rev. Walter Ripetoe, Mr. C. C. Pemberton, and many others. During the past twenty-five years over 2,000 students have been enrolled in the university. The names of the presidents in the order of their service are: Rev. W. H. Davis, Rev. N. D. Clifford, Rev. George Whittaker, Rev. P. A. Cool, Rev. J. B. Scott, and Rev. M. W. Dogan. The school property, consisting of 60 acres and 11 buildings, is valued at $40,000. The school, it is stated, is for the "education of young people of all races and sexes." The enrollment the past session reached 402, the highest number in the history of the university. The institution is located at Marshall, in one of the densest negro-populated sections of the State.