Saint Philip's College
Historically Black College






The history of the work among the colored people of San Antonio is peculiarly interesting. A large delegation from among the members of the leading A. M. E. Church of the city waited upon Bishop Johnston and begged to be taken under his Episcopal care. At first he refused, having no funds in hand for such an undertaking; but their plea was so insistent and urgent that, at last, feeling that "God was in it," and walking by "faith and not by sight," he consented, and took up the burden. Thus St Philip's congregation for colored people was organized in 1895. A substantial Church and rectory were purchased from the German Methodists, through the assistance of kind friends in the North. Later a brick school house was added, and an industrial school established, which now has an enrollment of 85 puplis. The school has steadily gained in efficiency under the management of the very excellent principal, Miss Artemisia Bowden. A United States inspector of colored schools recently, and unexpectedly, visited St Philip's . He said it was the cleanest school he had inspected, and that he would highly commend its management in his report.

No better evidence can be found of the value of the work the Church is doing in building up the character of this needy people, than in the fact that during a history of nearly a quarter of a century, no one connected with either the school or the Church has ever been arrested or charged with a crime.

This work has been carried on with an expense account of less than $2,500.00 annually. Funds are sorely needed for extension, and for the development of the enterprise along industrial lines. There is no estimating the amount of good that might be done with adequate equipment, and larger property. This is, I believe, the only effort of the kind that the Church is making West of the Mississippi, and it is sad indeed that for lack of means it must be so much less effective than it might be.

Sketch from The story of west Texas - Page 17

A. W. S. Garden - 1915