||Saint Philip's College
ST. PHILIP'S NORMAL AND INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL.
Principal : Miss A. Bowden.
A girls' school of elementary grade with a few
pupils in secondary classes and a small number of boarders.
Instruction in cooking and sewing is provided. The institution is soon
to be moved to a suburban community of colored people.
The school began as a Saturday sewing class conducted by the St.
Philip's Church for colored people. It is now owned by the Episcopal
diocese of west Texas and is largely supported by the board of
missions of the Protestant Episcopal Church.
Attendance.—Total, 73; elementary 68, secondary 5. All but 24 of the
pupils are from San Antonio.
Teachers.—Total, 4; all colored; all female. There were two
additional part-time teachers.
Financial, 1913-14.—As far as could be determined the more important
financial items were—
Income, excluding noneducational receipts $2,500
Value of plant 25,000
Sources of income: Episcopal Board, $1,800; northern friends, $400;
special donation, $200; other sources, $100. The noneducational
receipts were from the boarding department. The entire income of the
department was used for its maintenance
Items of expenditure: Teachers' salaries, $2,000; running expenses,
Plant.—Land: Estimated value, $2,000. The land
comprises a part of a city block.
Buildings: Estimated value, $18,000. There are four buildings. The
main building, a two-story brick structure, contains classrooms. The
other buildings are the teachers' cottage, a small dormitory, and the
Movable equipment.—Estimated value, $5,000. The equipment consists
of dormitory furniture, and fairly good classroom and domestic science
Recommendations.—1. That the officers of the institution be
encouraged in the plan to move the school to a suburban community and
adapt the work to the needs of rural pupils.
2. That the theory and practice of gardening be made a part of the
Date of visit: March, 1914. Facts verified,
Sketch from Negro
Education: A Study of the Private and Higher Schools