Historically Black College
Tillotson Collegiate and Normal Institute was founded by the American Missionary Association. It was opened on the 17th of January, 1881, the association having partially sustained for some years in Austin a school taught by Mrs. Garland. The association is much indebted to the liberality of the late Rev. George J. Tillotson, of Wethersfield, Conn., for whom it is named, for the money to purchase the lot, and for his industry in collecting a part of the funds for the erection of Allen Hall. This is the five-story brick building near the south end of the lot in which the school began, and which furnished dormitories, schoolrooms, sitting rooms, parlors, dining hall, and kitchen for teachers and students of both sexes till 1894, when the new and convenient Girls' Hall, near the north end of the lot, was opened for the use of the girls, and contains a beautiful and comfortable dining hall, kitchen, etc.
The lot or campus contains 20 acres, and is an ideal situation for a school. Its cost was about $5,000. One-fourth of this amount seems to have been donated by James H. Raymond, of Austin, from whom the land was purchased.
Allen Hall was named for Mr. Woodbridge Allen, who contributed largely to the fund for its erection. About $10,000 was contributed for furnishing and equipping the school by various donors in many parts of the North. In the list of donors named are some familiar in business and educational circles, as Henry P. Haven, New London, Conn.; A. S. Barnes, the publisher, of New York; Mrs. Henr}- A. Perkins, of Hartford, Conn.; Charles Benedict, esq., Water bury, Conn.; A. L. Williston, esq., and Mrs. E. G. Williston, Easthampton, Mass., the seat of Williston Seminary; Elihu Burritt, "the learned blacksmith," New Britain, Conn., and the poet John G. Whittier.
Donations from the Slater fund toward the expenses of the manual- training department have been received from time to time, but not regularly; also from the Daniel Hand fund, administered by the American Missionary Association, regular grants in aid of needy students are mada yearly.
The expenses of the school are met largely by annual grants from the American Missionary Association. This is under the control of the Congregational churches of the United States.
Nominal tuition fees are charged, and boarding students are expected to meet the cost of board in money, or in money and labor, the proportion depending upon the circumstances of individuals. The first session, January 17 to June, 1881, there were no tuition charges. From that time to 1887 the charges were, in the grammar department, $2 per month; in the normal, $2.50; and for board and tuition, $12 per month.
In 1887 the tuition for grammar grade was changed to $1 per month. In 1892 the tuition became uniform for all, $1 per month. The charge for board and tuition has never been changed. All salaries of teachers are paid by the association. The manual training department has been made a prominent feature of the school.
The value of the property belonging to the school may be put at $40,000. The attendance of students has ranged from some 200 to about 250 annually.
The names of the principals of the school in the order of their service are: Rev. W. E. Brooks, A. M., from 1881-1885; Rev. John Ker- shaw, 1885-86; Rev. Henry L. Hubbell, D. D., 1886-1889; Rev. Wm. M. Brown, 1889-1894; Rev. W. S. Goss, A. B., 1894-1896, and Rev. Marshall R. Gaines, A. M., incumbent of the office, who was chosen principal in 1896.
A new charter has been recently granted changing the name of the school to "Tillotson College."
of Education in Texas
Image: UT Institute of Texan Cultures at San Antonio, 075-0652. Loaned by Huston-Tillotson College.