institution is located at Austin, Tex.; Marshall
R. Gaines, President. It was established by the
American Missionary Association, and is
maintained under its supervision. It was opened
to students in January, 1881. The Institute was
named in honor of the late Rev. George J.
Tillotson, of Wethersfield, Conn., whose generous
contributions and earnest efforts were greatly
instrumental in purchasing the lot and erecting
Allen Hall. It has enjoyed a steady growth in the
public confidence from the first.
the present year a new charter has been granted
and the name changed to Tillotson College.
are two entirely separate buildings, especially
designed and erected as dormitories, and for
school purposes. These will accommodate, without
crowding, 125 students, besides the rooms for
members of the faculty. The boys and girls are,
therefore, in different buildings. The boarding
department is in the girls' hall, 600 feet north
of Allen Hall.
object of the College is to furnish an
opportunity to acquire a thoroughly practical
common-school education; to prepare those who
propose to take a more extended course for
entrance to the highest educational institutions
of the land; to train teachers for all positions
in the public schools. It is a Christian
institution, conducted in the belief that
Christian faith is the true source of the highest