Guadalupe College
Historically Black College

 

GUADALUPE COLLEGE AT SEGUIN. This is emphatically a " negro institution, owned, officered, managed, patronized, and supported by the negroes themselves," as stated in the College Record. The property was bought by the negro Baptists of Texas from the Roman Catholics in 1884 for the sum of $10,000, and with improvements since made is now valued at $60,000. The school is organized with 12 professors, or teachers, and has preparatory, scientific, collegiate, normal, theological, and industrial departments. There are 332 pupils in the school, of whom 170 are boarding in the institution.

It is a coeducational school, and the industrial department provides separately for the young men and women. The young men are taught carpentry, printing, farming, etc., and some of them make money to pay their way in school in this way. The young women are taught all kinds of domestic work, and one room is set aside and provided with a number of sewing machines where their skillful use is taught. They own a printing press and publish their own periodicals, and numbers of students learn the printer's trade.

The original property consisted of one three-story stone building and two frame structures.

The history of the institution is remarkable. Most of the founders and contributors were formerly slaves. There are 183 female students in the industrial department. The college entered upon the work of higher education in 1886. Rev. J. H. Garnett was the first president. The incumbent, Rev. David Abner, jr., has held the office for seven years. Rev. W. B. Ball, Rev. Hiram Wilson, and Rev. L. Ilsley were among the most prominent founders of the college.

Sketch from History of Education in Texas
by John J. Lane - 1903

 

 

Home