Historically Black College
Theological Class; Bishop College
BISHOP COLLEGE. President: C. H. Maxson.1
A school of secondary and collegiate grade with an elementary department. The institution is well managed and the student records are kept with unusual care. The school is accredited by the Texas State board of examiners. The school was founded in 1881 by the American Baptist Home Mission Society and receives support from that body. It has a board of trustees of northern and southern men.
Attendance.—Total, 371; elementary 176, secondary 153, collegiate 42. Of the pupils above elementary grades, 93 were male, 102 female, 172 were boarders, 30 were from Marshall, 118 from other places in Texas, and 47 were from other States. There were 74 pupils from farm homes. The reported enrollment for the year was 421.
Teachers and workers.—Total, 22; white 12, colored 10; male 6, female 16; grades 3, academic 10, music 3, girls' industries 2, boys' industries 1, administrative workers 3.
Organization.—Elementary : The elementary work covers the three upper elementary grades, which are well taught.
Secondary: Secondary work is given in two courses, the "college preparatory" course, enrolling 71 pupils, and the "normal" course, which enrolls 82. The "college preparatory" course includes: Latin, 4 years; mathematics, 3; English, 3; science, 4; history, 1.5; Bible, 1.5; economics,.5; bookkeeping, .5. In addition five pupils elect Greek, three geology, two chemistry, two typewriting, and two history. The normal course includes: Latin, 3 years; mathematics, 3.5; English, 3; science, 4; history, 1; civics, .5; Bible, 1; psychology and education, 1.5; methods and practice teaching, 2; bookkeeping, .5. Both secondary courses omit hygiene but place commendable emphasis on science.
College: The majority of the college students take the "scientific" course, which includes: English, 1 year; German, 2; mathematics, 2.5; history, 1.5; biology, 1; chemistry, 1 ; physics, 1 ; economics and sociology, 1 ; ethics, 1. A few students take the " classical" course, which comprises Greek, Latin, and German, omitting some of the science of the other course. The elective studies, enrolling two or three pupils each, are geology, astronomy, psychology, Bible, and Christian evidence. At the time the school was visited, several students in the freshman year were making up "conditions," and a few pupils were studying theological subjects in connection with their work in other departments.
Industrial : All pupils of the elementary and secondary grades are required to take some industrial work. Courses in cooking, sewing, and manual training are provided.
Financial, 1912-13.—The accounting system is well planned and effective and the books are carefully kept. Student accounts are handled through the deposit fund, which is a "students' bank." A bank book is provided each student and all student payments are made by check. Record of all transactions is kept by an extensive voucher system. The printed forms used reveal in great detail all the business activities of the school. The more important items for the year were:
Income, excluding noneducational receipts $19, 247
Sources of income: American Baptist Home Mission Society and endowment funds, $12,238; tuition and fees, $5,327; Slater Fund, $1,000; general donations, $682. The noneducational receipts amounted to $25,957. Of this, $23,044 was from the boarding department, $1,958 from sale of books and music, $826 from the printing office and shop, and $129 from the farm.
Items of expenditure: Supplies and labor in boarding department,$14,457; salaries, all departments, $13,198; supplies and material, $4,137;' power, light and heat, $3,422; repairs, $2,620; equipment for boarding department, $2,465; books for sale, $1,570; student labor, $1,280;' equipment, $783;' advertising and soliciting, $345; outside labor, $217-' School property: Of the school property, $302,125 was in the school plant, $12,000 in endowment, and $810 in cash on hand.
Plant.—Land: Estimated value, $125,000. The grounds comprise 23 acres in the residential section of the town. Only a small portion of the land is used for agricultural purposes. The campus is well kept and presents a neat appearance.
Buildings: Estimated value, $155,000. Of the larger buildings, the three dormitories, the recitation and manual training buildings are brick structures. The president's house is a large old-fashioned brick mansion of colonial design. A brick building houses the steam plant and laundry. There are three frame cottages. Most of the buildings are in good repair, well protected against fire, and clean and sanitary. Three of the older buildings, however, are of poor design, poorly lighted, and with damp basements.
Movable equipment: Estimated value, $22,125. Of this, $12,000 is in furniture for dormitories and classrooms, $5,000 is in library books and fixtures, $3,000 in scientific apparatus, $2,000 in shop furnishings, and $125 in farm implements.
Recommendations.—1. That the financial support
be increased so that the work of the institution may be strengthened and
Dates of visits: March, 1914; March, 1915; December, 1915
NYPL Digital Gallery, The New York Public Library Digital ID: 1239256