Bishop College
Historically Black College

 

 

Report from Bishop College To The Trustees of the John F. Slater Fund 1909-1910
The statistics here given are for the year ending about June 1, 1910. Many of these schools publish annual Catalogues and Reports that give a detail account of their work. Where fuller information is desired it may be found in the publications of the schools.

Bishop College, Marshall, Harrison County, Texas. . Charles H. Maxson, President. Connected with the American Baptist Home Mission Society. Property vested in the same. Received $11,189.85 from the A. B. H. M. Society. Of the 18 instructors, 7 have taught here more than two years. Agriculture is required in the regular course. The boys' dormitory was burned in November. A new building is now in process of erection to cost $5,000, and to accommodate 150 boys. Degrees conferred: B. S., B. A., B. Th., also, Bachelor of Didactics. There is a normal department for teachers under the direction of a superintendent, with practice teaching in the grades. The appropriation from the John F. Slater Fund has been used to pay the salaries of three teachers in the normal and industrial departments.

Extract from the report of the Principal:

"The three departments assisted by the Slater Fund are afl doing excellent work. Through the assistance of Bishop College, woodworking is being introduced into the local colored public high school, and one of our students is giving instruction to the High School boys twice a week."

Home