Religious Historic Markers
First Methodist Church
The charter members of this church, organized in 1857 by the Rev. J.W. Harvey Hamill, included Major and Mrs. W.H. Pitts and others in the Pitts family, for whom this town was named. The congregation worshipped first in a log structure, then shared a two-story frame building with the Masonic Lodge. A large frame sanctuary was erected in 1888-89. It was replaced by this brick prairie style church, constructed (1904-05) during the pastorate of Rev. E.L. Shettles. In 1953 the educational wing was added. In 1957, the fellowship's centennial year, membership was 546. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark - 1976.
Holly Springs Baptist Church
The Bluff Springs Baptist and Philadelphia Baptist churches, both established near here by post-Civil War immigrants, merged in 1903 to form the Holly Springs Baptist Church of Christ; the Rev B.H. Sims served as its first pastor. The congregation joined the Liberty Baptist Association in 1903 and built its first sanctuary here, on land donated by Mrs. Harriet Coffman, sometime prior to 1916. A new sanctuary built in 1928, known as a training ground for young ministers, continues to serve the local community.
New Mine Baptist Church
This congregation traces its history to 1892 when Mr. and Mrs. G.O. Hart gave an acre of land for a new church building. The church was officially organized on September 11, 1892, and the Rev J.H. Floyd served as the first pastor. One of the main reasons for the establishment of this congregation was so the members would not have to travel to Pittsburg for worship services. It has remained a small rural church, with various structures built over the years to accommodate the membership, which includes descendants of charter members. New Mine Cemetery is located adjacent to the church.
When a migrant worker died in 1879, there was no cemetery in this community. Counce Reeves, a Civil War veteran who had come from Hamilton County, Georgia, and his wife Selina, gave two acres at this site for a church and burial ground. The Rev. D. Dane of Jefferson led in organizing the Reeves Chapel Methodist Church. The congregation erected a brush arbor and in the fall of 1879 constructed a frame meeting house. Later Reeves deeded an additional two acres. After the fellowship grew, members initiated efforts to erect a larger building in 1907.
Saint Beulah Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
The Rev Joseph Lloyd, who came here between 1870 and 1889, organized the CMC Church in Pittsburg. The name St. Beulah was adopted after this sanctuary was constructed in 1896. The wood frame Gothic revival building has an asymmetrical facade with two towers of differing sizes. Various members of the congregation donated the stained glass lancet windows. Recorded Texas Landmark - 1985.