Martin L. Morris

 

 

 

 

 

JUDGE MARTIN L. MORRIS. During a career of more than thirty years in Texas, Judge Morris has been conspicuously identified, not only with his regular profession as a lawyer, but with the public life and activities of the communities in which he has had his residences. He has the distinction of having served as the last Mayor of the municipality of Oak Cliff before its incorporation into the city of Dallas. He was a former county judge of Camp county, early became a prominent figure in Democratic politics, and on all occasions, in connection with every local and state movement, has played the part of the broad-minded, public-spirited citizen.

Martin L. Morris is a native of Georgia, having been born on a plantation near McDonough, in Henry county, September 19. 1855. His parents were Presley Milledge and Nancy Eveline (James) Morris. His father, who is now a retired resident in Georgia, at the age of eighty-five years, was a soldier of the Civil war, and gave about four years of service to the southern cause. The mother passed away on the fourth of May, 1912, at the age of seventy-nine years.

Martin L. Morris attended the agricultural department of the State University of Georgia, where he was graduated in 1875, and won the speaker's place in his class. During the following year he took post-graduate work in the University, and in January, 1879, came to Texas, where he located first in Wood county, and became a school teacher. In 1880 he moved to Pittsburg, Camp county, and here he completed the legal studies which he had been pursuing at every opportunity for several years preceding, and was admitted to the bar in that year. Judge Morris was one of the prominent men of Camp county during his residence there for a period of ten years. He acquired prestige in his profession, and served as county judge for two years, 1880-1882, and for another two years was prosecuting attorney of the county during 1886-1888. 

Judge Morris has been a resident of Dallas and Oak Cliff since the sixth of August, 1890, at which date he established his home in the suburbs of Oak Cliff, which at that time was under separate incorporation. In April, 1899, he was elected mayor of Oak Cliff, and held the office until April, 1903. In July, 1903, Oak Cliff was formally consolidated with the city corporation of Dallas. Throughout his residence here, Judge Morris has enjoyed a large practice in all the courts and is considered one of the ablest attorneys in counsel and in court practice in the northern part of the state. His law offices are in the Commonwealth National Bank Building. He is the owner of a large amount of valuable property, chiefly residence property in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas. 

Judge Morris has always been actively identified with the Democratic party, and, in 1894, served as chairman of the Democratic County Convention of Dallas county. It was in that convention that advisory votes were cast favoring the nomination of Charles A. Culbertson for the office of Governor. This proved to be the turning point, not only in the nomination and subsequent election of Mr. Culbertson to the office of governor, but also in his conspicuous political career since that date.Judge Morris is a Scottish Rite Mason of the 32nd Degree, and is affiliated with Oak Cliff Lodge, No. 705, A. F. & A. M.; Ogilvie Chapter R. A. M. at Pittsburg, Texas; and with Hella Temple of the Mystic Shrine. His church is the Presbyterian. 

On February 17, 1886, occurred his marriage with Mrs. Luln Virginia Jones, a daughter of W. H. Wakefield of Pittsburg. Texas, lint formerly from Georgia. Judge and Mrs. Morris are the parents of two children, Robert Sanders Morris, who was graduated from Dartmouth College, Hanover. New Hampshire, June, 1912, with the degree A. B., and Clara Rose Morris. The residence of Judge Morris and family is at 201 West Tenth Street.

A History of Texas and Texans
by Francis White Johnson, Frank W Johnson, Eugene Campbell Barker, Ernest William Winkler  - 1914

 


Home